Our History

Independent, non-lawyer conveyancers emerged in Victoria in the early 1980s. For the first time, Victorian consumers were offered the same freedom of choice for conveyancing services that had existed in other Australian states for many years. South Australia, for example, has had licensed conveyancers since 1923.

In 1989, a small group of independent conveyancing practitioners formed the Victorian Conveyancers' Association (VCA). In 1991, the Association was incorporated with a Charter to promote and monitor high standards of professional service and ethics among conveyancers.

In 1997, the VCA became a division of the Australian Institute of Conveyancers and we changed our name to the Australian Institute of Conveyancers – Victorian Division (AIC Vic). The focus of AIC Vic has always been to promote high educational, ethical and professional standards for licensed conveyancers.

In 1998, AIC Vic took our first steps towards introducing industry quality standards with the launch of our Certified Practising Conveyancer (CPC) Program for members.

In 2008, the Victorian Government introduced licensing for conveyancers.

AIC Vic continues to work with educational institutions and government bodies to encourage high education and licensing standards for licensed conveyancers throughout the state.